Independent Sexual Violence Advisor
Our Independent Sexual Violence Advisors, ISVA, are specialist support workers who can assist and support you in the weeks and months after an assault. If you choose they will help you throughout the court process from start to finish. They will support you, find out information for you, ask questions about progress of any legal action and they can be there for you in court. All adults coming to the SARC are offered the service of an ISVA and they will contact you within 5 working days of the forensic examination. The service they can provide includes:
- Initial assessment of the support that you need
- Drawing up of a care plan and involvement of any other partner agencies required
- Confidential and impartial advice that is not linked to the police
- Regular and ongoing telephone contact
- Face to face meetings and support
- Help with advice on housing issues
- Detailed understanding of the court process and the criminal justice system
- Attendance with you at any police interviews or court proceedings
- Liaison between you, the police, the CPS and barristers acting on your behalf
- Emotional support and guidance
- Support in reporting your assault to the police if you first came as a self referral
- Assistance with Criminal Injuries Compensation
You can contact an ISVA by calling the St Mary’s Centre on 0161 276 6515.
A day in the Life – information currently being updated.
0161 276 6515
- Crisis Support
- Forensic Medical Examination
- Access to Emergency Contraception
- Sexual Health Screening
- Counselling and Aftercare Support
- Independent Sexual Violence Advisor
- What happens if I make a report to the Police?
- What will happen when I come to the St Mary's Centre?
- What happens if I come to St Mary's Centre without making a report to the Police?