How you can support someone you care about
You may feel confused and powerless about what to do but understanding and working through your own feelings will help you support them.
You can support someone by:
- Listening to them and not asking for details. They may not want to tell you everything that happened.
- Don’t ask why the assault or rape happened.
- Respect their decisions on whether they want to report it or not. It is their decision to make.
- Be patient and don’t tell them to forget all about what has happened and put it the past.
- Believe them.
- Allow them to demonstrate their feelings by crying if that is what they need to do, even if their crying might upset you.
Get in touch with St Mary’s Centre at any time to get more information on how you can support someone.
A 24 hour advice and information line 0161 276 6515